Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2008

House Work

After several months of renovations, my family has finally moved to our new home. However, we did not complete all of our projects prior to move in. Most weekends we are working on the house, leaving little time for studio work. Plus we have been cleaning up from a hurricane that left the yard a mess. We have just about removed all the trees we lost. My shady yard isn't so shady anymore. I may get that garden after all.

I have finally started organizing the studio and have realized that I have an extraordinary collection of stuff!!! I feel the urge to purge but I just can't....so I need to develop a great storage system for odds and ends. I would really like to see other people's solutions to art material storage. I have a few books (there are not many available on the market...I have searched!) about art studio stuff and I love looking at the pictures. But these are picture perfect... the studios are art in of themselves. Which I can so be inspired by but I need to make art not spend forever setting up the studio. I need real person ideas. The space is just about in working order and I should be off to the clay store in the next few weeks. I'm so excited!!!!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

If I had an empty space,and was starting from scratch, I think I would get some of those wire shelves like are in restaurant kitchens and plastic bins. Not the cheapest alternative, but you could keep adding another set every now and then.

Either that, or use my method -- piles of crap everywhere!

Janelle said...

Those silver wire shelves can be had at a good price at Lowe's/Home Depot. We love the ones in our basement. They are very sturdy.

For really tiny things, how about baby food jars? You could screw the lids to a piece of wood and then the jar hangs down below. YOu can see what's inside. Where does the piece of wood go? On the underside of a shelf, or perhaps just hanging in the air. Depends on your space. My dad always did that for nails/screws/hardware in the garage and I loved it as a child.

If you don't have baby food jars anymore I'm sure you know someone who is in baby food phase.