Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm sewing a shirt...


Yesterday I became obsessed with handmade funky clothes and decided that I could sew clothing. I hate shopping for clothes and we only have two stores in town. So I went to my local store, bought a simple pattern and some fabric. Whoa! Did I get myself into something crazy. First off, the sizes on patterns vs. ready-made are dramatically different. Based on 'Simplicity' size I am off the chart. I hadn't realized I was so fat. Second, I insisted I needed this really cool orangey-rust stripe KNIT. Okay, I knew the knit might be interesting to work with but ...geez...it is so hard. Anyway, here is the project, I hope to finish it tomorrow.

4 comments:

Steven said...

Sewing is the most awesome skill -- I admire anyone who can do it. Looks good so far.

Janelle said...

Sewing knits IS hard - they have a tendency to stretch under the presser foot and then you get that ruffly lettuce edge. If I just need to shorten a t-shirt or something, I use a fusible webbing to stabilize the knit first, then sew. But sewing a shirt is different. Ummmm, I have no advice for that - but I bet my mom would!

Jennifer Pierson said...

The fusible webbing idea is great. I think I will have to do something when I attack the hems. I am wanting the neck to be loose and flowy so I am playing with a few different ideas. I'm winging it...I will post the finished piece.

Jennifer Pierson said...

Thanks for taking a notice Steven! Keep a look out for the finished version.